Friday, October 14, 2005

What's in a Name (Part 2)

Once you've learned the meaning of your family name, you're sure to want to know the meaning of your given name also. Many people have both a first and middle name ... and each comes with it's own meaning.

In years past, names were chosen based on their meaning and a name was given because the meaning seemed to fit, or the parents hoped the child would grow to "fit" the name. Although most western cultures no longer follow that tradition, our names still have meanings.

While the meaning of a name does not change with the different spellings, receiving a personalized gift that not only tells the meaning but also spells the name absolutely correctly would be something to be cherished. Several of the members in my family have names that are spelled in the not-so-common way so this option works out great for buying them gifts.

By doing a search for "meaning of names" at Personal Creations, you'll find ceramic mugs and other items that display the historical meaning and origin of a name, as well as the personality traits, characteristics, number, and animal associated with it.

Do you know the meaning of your name(s)?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Growing up, I did not like my first name. After learning its meaning I have grown to appreciate my parents' choice.
DOTT

7:03 AM  
Blogger Chai said...

Growing up, I did not like MY middle name! But now I love it, and I just wish my parents had called me by my middle name from the beginning. I'm afraid I made them feel very sad during my teenage years when I "changed" my middle name (for fun -- not legally).

Now that I have children of my own, I hope they will realize how much time and love go into giving a name!!

You asked if we know the meaning of our name...Yes, I do. Both my names are very meaningful, but I won't disclose my real name here.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous top 100 baby names said...

Aunt Libby, Great ideas! I've been researching top ten baby names and would be most interested in hearing more of your thoughts on top ten baby names.in particular.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Baby Meaning Name said...

Your site Aunt Libby, I found to be interesting. When I was searching for Baby Celebrity Name yours was the most eye catching. While working on my site Baby Celebrity Name I have been looking for ways to make it better and found yours to be helpful. Thanks!

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home