Friday, November 11, 2005

The Gift of Caring (Part 1)

Thanksgiving is a time when most of us get together as families and enjoy too much good food and maybe even too much togetherness. But it's tradition, right?

Well, what many of us forget is, not everyone has family they can gather with. Not everyone can have an abundance of food to "pig out on." And not everyone feels like they have something to be thankful for. Has your family ever considered what Thanksgiving could be like if your circumstances were different?

What if you were homeless and living on the streets? What if you lived in a third world country? What if you didn't even have the money to heat your home on what is often a very cold day of the year? Could you find something to be thankful for in those situations?

Hopefully you will never be in need of the basic essentials of life. But there are many who are there ... everyday ... day in and day out. And those people could use your help. Not your pity and not even just your money. But how about a little of your time?

Why not get several of your family members or friends together this Thanksgiving and go help serve Thanksgiving dinner at a homeless shelter in your town or a nearby city?

Or maybe you travel out of town every Thanksgiving and really can't do something personally on Thanksgiving Day. How about donating funds to help the less fortunate in another country? Why not provide a goat for a family or buy a small grove of 10 fruit trees to help a family generate additional income? World Vision has many ways you can contribute in seemingly small ways that mean so much more in third world countries.

Get your kids involved in something like this and watch their eyes shine! What can you do for others this Thanksgiving?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Most Excellent Blog!
If your bored out of your mind, then you may want a very 'STRANGE'
movie download !

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Christmas gift for a woman said...

Hi,

I am doing research for e-books on original gift ideas. That is how I ran into your blog The Gift of Caring (Part 1). Do you have any brilliant suggestion for a Christmas gift for a wife by any chance? I already have several books done and posted at http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com but I am looking to upgrade some of the ideas for Christmas gifts. Thanks.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Christmas gift for a wife said...

Hi Aunt Libby,

I am a writer and I research gift ideas for e-books on original gift ideas for Christmas and other events like Valentine's, Easter etc. I also organize gift ideas per receiver, like for babies, for kids, for teens, for grandparents, for dog lovers, for him, for her, etc Or I organize them by category like romantic gifts and inexpensive gifts. In my research I also go through blogs that mention gifts and gift ideas or events like Christmas. That is how I came upon your blog this post. I would appreciate if you would share just one successful gift idea with me, for instance a Christmas gift for a kid. I hope that my question doesn't annoy you. And I apologize if it does. I thought if I'd just ask enough people I'd wind up with plenty of good ideas to share with others again. That is what networking is all about, right? Or let's call it the spirit of Christmas. Let me know if I can do something for you. You can find my free e-books with gift ideas here: http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com. God bless.

Chevalier Blanc

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home